Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dr.Jeckyll and Mr.Hyde (1920)

Genre: Horror, Mad Scientist

Source: My Own Collection

Grade: B

  To say the least this was a good, unique adaptation of the novel by Robert Louis Stevenson. There were just a few things about it that I felt could have been better, but none the less didn`t ruin the movie for me at all.

  Now i`m pretty sure everyone knows the Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde story since they were like seven. So I really have no desire to explain the story, and I can`t really compare this book to the original book because its been about six or seven years since I read it last therefore most of its details have been lost to me. Anyway`s this is also not my favourite Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde movie that one still has to be the 1941 version with Spencer Tracy and directed by Victor Fleming.
    The cast was also very well put together. John Barrymore played both Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde superbly. His interpretation of the character unforgettable. It was hard to believe he was in one scene a upstart Victorian scientist and in another a hunched over, putrid looking monster. But what made me laugh a little was to see John Barrymore here in this very serious terrifying role and then to think that this was the same guy who played the kooky old scientist in the movie The Invisible Women.

    Then the make-up in this movie was incredible! They made Mr.Hyde look very creepy, though one thing I noted during the scene were Mr.Hyde confronts Dr. Jekyll`s girlfriend, this exact scene was used in Rob Zombies Dragula music video. Just thought that was kinda cool. There was this other scene were Mr.Hyde takes over Jekyll`s in the form of a giant hairy disgusting looking spider, and I have to say that was the most terrifying and disturbing scene in the whole movie!

     So all in all this was a fine silent horror movie, even though its not as good as other movie`s from the era such as Nosferatu and The Cabinet Of Doctor Caligari. But it still holds up pretty well despite being a little dated and having a very slow beginning, that thankfully picked up at the end. The Make-Up design was amazing and unforgettable, and to me it was probably the strongest thing in this movie. Also the organ soundtrack was fantastic!! It truly inspired me to get on the ball to pursing my goal to learn how to play the organ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment